Please click the comment buttons below and tell us what you think.

Your comments are critical to our research and we appreciate your responses. Please reply to at least one by clicking on the comment button if you have the time. You can remain anonymous when you post your comments. The more comments, the better we will be able to analyze our educational system today.

Please be respectful
!
It would be interesting for us to know a little about you:
  • Where do you live?
  • Are you a minority in your community?
  • Are you a student or teacher or parent?
Please respond to as many of the posts and comments you feel impact you or someone you know.

Thank you for your time and sharing your thoughts.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Who says?

Here's the deal...
See full size image





It is the middle of school year and I received my report card yesterday.
I got straight A's.
I worked hard to get these grades but I don't feel comfortable.
I feel like this is not who I'm suppose to be.
I feel I did too much.
I am afraid all my friends are going to make fun of me, that they will begin to call me "the nerd."
They already make fun of me because I don't play sports, and I hang out with the Asians during lunch.
But who says that I have to behave a certain way?
Whoever said that Chicanos aren't suppose to succeed in school or that the boys need to play sports or that Hispanics could only hang out with Hispanics.?
I get so mad and confused, I don't know what to do.
  • What should I do ?
  • Should I ignore all my friends and do what I feel or should I do what everyone expects me to do?

3 comments:

  1. If you hang out with the Asian students aren't they then also your friends? You should do exactly what you feel like. Getting high grades means a lot of hard work but if you like this work it doesn't matter. If you feel like the work is a burden then don't but remember what you decide today is important for you future. Anyway I am not sure I would call your socalled hispanic friends for friends. Friends are supposed to support you for what and who you are no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You decide now your futur so if you like to work hard and get good grades it's best.
    You don't have to shoot out at you have straight A to your friends if they don't like it.
    But try to have fun with them and maybe do sport with them.
    If you don't know what to do in the future it's better to get ok/good grades in all subject, so don't forget sport.
    I've meet a lot of nerd at the university and they dont have all glasses, never get sunshine or never go to sport.
    Some of them was cool, with piercing or wind surfing every weekend.
    Just finding yourself and if you like to get straight A do it
    Isabelle Villard, French
    High School teacher, teaching chemistry in Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to."
    -- W.C. Fields

    ReplyDelete